My Very First Blog Entry...

Well, what a week it has been! 8 days ago, I learned that I would begin nursing clinicals on Monday 1/11/10. It has been quite a journey for me to get to this point, and I was a last minute on-call addition to the program, but nevertheless I have made it and am thrilled to be on my journey to becoming a nurse. There are many background stories I will share as to why I want to be a nurse, but those are for another time. Tonight I want to share the ups and downs of the week.

It has been stressful figuring out a work schedule, being in orientation 4x this week for different things and beginning to learn all the clinical components that I will be learning over the next 4 months. And to top it off, I am preparing to move about 15 blocks across town next week. I have heard that God only gives you what you can handle, but I have also heard that God will give you more than you can handle in hopes that you will rely on him and the resources he has given you on this earth. This week I am pretty sure I got more than I bargained for, but have been blessed by friends, co-workers and family who have been so supportive.

Twice this week a friend from church met me at my new home to help paint my room, and last night a friend came and helped me pack up my kitchen....I am so blessed.

As for school, literally I was in orientation ALL week. One for each of the 2 classes as well as lab orientation and safety seminars, and I finished my first DVD tonight. An alumni from the program taught me that you can watch it in double speed... amazing thing to learn! The way the program works, is I will get 2 lecture DVD's a week to watch, and have tons of readings with 4 tests per class this semester. The first 5-6 weeks will be spent in the lab learning skills on each other and the manicans. The first task is to learn how to take a manual BP. I will keep you posted on that one. After the first 5-6 weeks of skills are done, then we get to venture out into the acute setting of a hospital...and no I do not know where yet, but I promise I will post it all once I do.

I have been asked so many questions this week and every one has a different meaning based on who it is coming from and what their medical background is, so feel free to throw any questions my way and I am excited to keep you up to date as the journey begins. It is a 4 semester, 2 year program for me with the summers off!

Now it is off to pack some boxes, read a little and enjoy some me time!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top The Journey to RN, One Day at a Time. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.